- Don't access secure websites, such as online banking, from shared computers or in public.
- Use the privacy settings on social networking sites to ensure you're only sharing information with those you trust.
- Only provide your Social Security number when necessary, such as for employment, tax forms or bank records.
- Be careful opening files, links, emails, etc. from unknown sources or from a friend's account that may have been hacked.
- Check the security of online stores before you purchase.
- Shred all sensitive information before throwing in the trash
When sharing personal information with certain professionals, such as tax preparers or mortgage lenders, be sure to choose companies you trust.
©2011 ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. All rights reserved.