- Be wary of spear phishing scammers who attempt to steal your personal information online or over the phone by posing as a business you know.
- Never open emails or click on links from unknown sources that may trigger a virus to download to your computer.
- If you receive notification that your information was stolen in a data breach, be sure to follow any guidelines or take advantage of any service available.
- Safeguard your personal information even from your friends, relatives and coworkers.
- Review your annual Social Security statement for inaccurate earnings.
- Minimize the number of checks you write and never sign a check without first filling out the payee and amount information.
Carefully review every medical bill and statement you receive for possible signs that someone else is using your medical benefits.
©2011 ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. All rights reserved.