- If your child's school uses Social Security numbers on identification cards, talk to administrators about implementing a different policy.
- Send students to college with a laptop, lock box for the laptop and other valuables and a shredder – not with their Social Security cards.
- Educate young adults about the dangerous of downloading files that may contain viruses intended to steal personal information or cause other harm.
- Don't include information, such as your Social Security number and date of birth, on your resume that prospective employees don't need.
- In public places, be wary of people who may be eavesdropping, looking over your shoulder at your laptop screen or attempting to pick your pockets.
- Don't leave valuables unattended in your hotel room. Use your room or hotel safe.
Regularly check to ensure a credit report hasn't been filed in your child's name.
©2011 ConsumerInfo.com, Inc. All rights reserved.